Thursday, April 17, 2014

Installations

In somewhat more thoroughly looking at the field of installation art, and the work done by some of the most notable people, I came across countless interesting terms and concepts. Two of these, often combined in many works, is the concept of "assemblage" and "found objects".

Assemblage appears to be - at least, when it comes to installation - the 'assembling' of objects in an expressive manner, and this seems limitless in possibility. I saw assemblage on canvas, on the streets, on tables and in giant glass cubes. It was a thrilling possibility, as I was already fascinated by the idea of using simple day-to-day objects in different arrangements to propose a meaning.

"Found objects" seems to simply be employing things 'found' by the artist in some surrounding, and putting these objects in a certain perspective. I rather like the idea of not investing in material itself, but simply retaining one's wonder in discovery of one's environment. There is so much that can be found around us, on the streets, in our cities and towns that suggest the lives and experiences of many strangers before us. It's lovely to use this pre-existing material in the artist's own light.

I identified a few installations that I greatly admired, and in the process also looked at quite a few contemporary artist - one of which was the work of John Baldessari, which also got me onto the field of text installation.

Daniel Spoerri worked with assemblage of dinner tables - simply gluing pre-existing cutlery, plates and food after a meal to the dinner table on which they were placed.


Another person whose work I really liked was Sarah Lucas, who used furniture in different settings in her bawdy, often vulgarly humorous work: 



The first text installation that caught my eye and I truly loved was the work of Joseph Kosuth: 



No comments:

Post a Comment