Thursday, April 17, 2014

The exhibition at NGMA:

Honestly, it has been a while since I visited an art exhibition in a traditional gallery, and going to NGMA was an experience that made me realise what I had been missing out on.

Due to my work on the art acknowledgement course, I was paying added attention to how the gallery was arranged and designed, and the little things that made the journey between each artwork enjoyable. I looked at the placement of the sculptures and installations especially, as I felt they made good use of the space they consumed.

I found many unrelated art pieces that I thoroughly admired, but what I loved most was the the show on Amrita Sher-Gil's work. It was an exhibition summing up almost her entire life, and it was very interesting to read about what she had achieved. She was someone that travelled extensively during her life, and I admired this especially.

Her work comprised of many self portraits and paintings of people she knew, not to mention countless other beautiful things. Here I did notice that the placing of some of the paintings in the gallery was unsatisfactory: many works could not be appreciated fully because of the glare of the light on them, and so on. But as I moved from painting to painting in that space, the effect of the work was magnetic.


No comments:

Post a Comment